mums,dads, aunts n uncles; WAKE UP!!


note: this post has nothin 2 do wit the wake-up campaign.

y is tht all (almost all) parents want their kids to become doctors :\
i get sooo sick of it somtyms..
adhi mamma men thah emme bodah..
i mean, c'monnn! there r THOUSANDS of good careeers to choose from.
but here, as soon as u finish 7th grade, expectations r poured all ovr u,
n ''magey dharifulhu vaany doctarakah'' the mantra begins!

yeah, so doctors r special 'maaiy' ppl..
but tht duznt mean v ALL hav to becom doctors!
if tht was to happen;
hu wud invent their weird apparatus?
hu wud make them breakfast?
hu wud drive them 2 the freaky hospitals?
hu wud polish their shoes?
hu wud build their houses?
hu wud clean their toilets?!?!

get my point?

i was a victim of 'my-daughtr-will-becom-a-doctor-mania'
but i stood up for myself n got my parnts to bring an end to tht..
not tht i dont lov my parnts..i lov them alot..
i just dun biliv in livin a life tht i dun lov..

y cnt som of us undersnd this..
almost 50% of the studnts hu finishd chse last yr r workin in IGMH!
*eye roll*
hospitalah dhiyas its lyk a re-union.
bayyeh kameh viyas mulhi rashah ingeyne.
u cnt even kyp ur private business private.
tut tut.
so bak to the point.
i mean its totaly cool if u REALLY wana becom a doctor..
but komme meeheh kairee, 'hey, ur doin medicine! nice!!' ehen bunaa irah
they wud kuni kuraning their moonu n say 'yeah...'
*eye roll bodakah*

sacrifice?!
get a grip!
by doin this, v r makin the worst society worse.

m sure tht ultimately, any parnt wud b hepy to c their child livin a hepy life.



image: DeviantArt

9 Comments:

Subtle Hues said...

I think most of us join IGMH coz we all want to work in a field related to science. Atleast thats why I joined the place. Not coz I wanna be a doctor.

But yeah sometimes parents force their kids to become doctors. Its like their dream. Its good that you stood up to them. Some people simply can't. As for me, I told my parents that I cannot be a doctor. =)

shweetikle said...

well..im one of them who really wanna become a doc!
my all time dream =)
and yeah, i think sparky's right..
they join IGMH cx they wanna work in a science related field.
And yeah, thats the advantage of becoming a doc! the others dunno wat sickness ur suffering from, cuz u wud be the doc and patient urself! =D

kaiza shozey said...

IF u got out of that spot heres vat you need to do. talk to Bulhaa about it. she's having the same problem. nice post. it was .....different. something thats common yet ppl havent talked abt it :)

Shaari said...

important post. i totally identify with it. parents almost always have an idea of what they want their kids to be, mostly docs, engineers, lawyers, architects or to attain a respectable position in the government. it's disappointing when they fail to see what wud realy makes us happy. wat we realy wanna be. i had to fight over this for years & years but didnt surrender. & here i'm doing wat i've always wanted to do. & the best part is, all that opposition is gone now!

so i salute u for standing up to yrself. u'll be rewarded...

BubbleToes said...

spark of silence: yeah,its lyk their dream..n somtyms it even makes me fyl guilty wen othr kids giv evrithin to make their parents' dreqam com tru...i fyl lyk m a wicked cruel selfish person..hehe..n gr8 u stood up 4urserlf too :D

shweeet: oh goody! ur gona b a doc! mc hoadhan v faseyha vaane dho! hehe...n my my! wot an advantage! lol!

kaiza: bulhaa havin this prob?! n here i am thinkin she wud go on to becom the greatest artist of maldivian history! (2 bulhaa: go4 ur dreammms girl!n prove urself!:D)
10nx kaiza!

shaari: *salutes u bak*

Lavendergirl said...

Im one of those too.. my parents wanted me to be a doc since I was small..
as I hate doctors, I thought I dont wanna b someone I hate...

When I explained that to them, they wanted me to be a teacher.. even today they are asking me to join a school after studies and be a teacher :(
its like there is no other job other than being a teacher or a doctor..

Anonymous said...

Well good thing u stood up. It never happened to me though, I always wanted to be an accountant and my parents anre happy with whatever i want to do.


nice post

BubbleToes said...

lavndrgrrl: stand up 4 urself lavendary! do not make the mistake of ignorin ur dreams! gluk :)

shaha: dats nice :)..

Yaamyn said...

Mum wanted me to be a doctor, so I got into a medical college. But quit.

Dad wanted me to be an engineer, so I gave some Engg tests.

I wanted to be an entrepreneur, so I joined a business school - but they sucked.

So I'm doing none of the above now, but found a new love - computers. :)